Protein bowls are one of my favorite dinners to throw together if I’m in a hurry or just want a quick, simple, and healthy meal. I love them because you can mix it up by switching a few ingredients, but they’re super simple because you always have a good base to start with so you can never go wrong. There are about three categories I typically like to stick with when creating a bowl: rice or quinoa as a base, steamed or roasted veggies, and a protein such as tofu, beans, tempeh, or jackfruit.
This particular bowl was inspired by Flame Broiler’s Tofu Veggie Bowl with a spicy twist. I chose to use rice as my base, roasted broccoli & carrots, and spicy marinated tofu.
- 1 cup uncooked brown or white rice (I used brown)
- 2 cups water
- 2 heads of fresh organic broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 organic carrots, cut into slices
- 1 14 oz. tray extra-firm organic tofu
- 2 tbs. avocado oil (this is my favorite cooking oil)
- 2 tbs. Tamari, soy sauce, or coconut aminos (I used Tamari)
- 1 tbs. ginger paste or fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Completely drain the tofu, wrap in a towel, and place between two baking trays for about an hour with something to weigh it down a bit. I used two cans of beans. Once dry, cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. You can have this done and prepared prior to making this recipe.
- In a medium bowl, mix the Tamari, ginger, cayenne, and crushed red pepper flakes. Place the tofu in the bowl, making sure to coat each piece. Let the tofu marinade for at least an hour, but what I prefer to do is prepare the tofu and let it marinade overnight. The longer you marinade the tofu, the more flavor it will soak up.
- In a large pot, pour in 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. My trick to making perfect rice is to turn the heat off after 20-25 minutes, leave the lid on to allow the rice to steam for an additional 10 minutes. Take the lid off and fluff up the rice with a spoon. Perfect rice every time!
- As the rice is cooking, place broccoli florets and sliced carrots on a baking tray and coat well with 2 tbs. of avocado oil. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, checking frequently.
- In the the final 10 minutes, as the broccoli, carrots, and rice are almost done cooking, add the tofu and marinade to a skillet and brown the tofu for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once everything is ready, place rice, broccoli, carrots, and spicy tofu in a bowl. Enjoy!
This is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made and is packed with so much flavor and nutrition. Sorry Flame Broiler.. you just lost another customer 😉 ..this bowl will give them a run for their money and the best part – you know exactly how this is being prepared and what’s going into it. This is one of the main reasons I cook a majority of the food I consume at home. Sometimes, something can seem “healthy” because they market it with healthy foods, but there may be so many hidden ingredients that end of making it just as bad as fast food.
I hope I have inspired you to try another simple, healthy, plant-based meal! I can’t wait to see your pictures on social of you recreating my recipes and don’t forget to leave a comment below if you tried this recipe and enjoyed it!
Until next time, stay healthy and happy 🙂